Stolarz suspension

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Stolarz suspension

Postby Robbie_Rayzor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:46 am

I realize it was only a two minute minor in the game but the panel on Hockey central was anticipating a multi game suspension. Anyone care to guess what the number of games will be?
Darryl Sutter to Jerome Iginla one night in Montreal..."Did you bring your dress tonight? No? Well you shouldve because you're playing like a woman."
Belleville Bulls 9
London Knights 2
Robbie_Rayzor
NOOFer

Stolarz suspension

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Stolarz suspension

Postby A&F » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 am

What a stupid play. I hope he gets 2-3 games if not more
A&F
NOOFer

Postby The Man22 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:46 am

It will be a suspension but who cares what an NHL panel that has no clue about JR hockey thinks. These guys still think Stolarz and Patterson are in a goaltending debate here in London. I guess Stolarz gets 2. Should be 4.
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby rgr4life » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 am

Carter Sandlak just got 4 games for something very similar--retaliatory stick swing to the head of an opponent.
rgr4life
NOOFer

Postby Big Poppa Pimp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 am

My question is different.

How many games should the referee be suspended?

How on earth does anyone get off with a 2 minute high sticking penalty for that? Let alone be allowed to stay in the game. Heck, the Spitfires organization should be rewarded for not sending anyone after that coward.

Player safety (Ho Sand and Stolarz) should be the #1 issue and that Referee/Referees were obviously not concerned with that.

I say they should not be allowed to referee for at least the next round.
Big Poppa Pimp
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 am

A&F wrote:What a stupid play. I hope he gets 2-3 games if not more

Agreed (stupid play). However, what was he supposed to do? Stand there and take it? Ho-Sang slashed him first.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby marcusd777 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am

KnightHawk wrote:

Agreed (stupid play). However, what was he supposed to do? Stand there and take it? Ho-Sang slashed him first.

KnightHawk

Ho-Sang's "slash" was a swipe at the puck on the ice that was just covered... I've seen that happen many times a game without getting called for even a minor. In fact, the referee made no signal at all for a penalty until after Stolarz' baseball swing at the back of Ho-Sang's head. Stolarz actions aren't even close to a justifiable response.
marcusd777
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 am

marcusd777 wrote:Ho-Sang's "slash" was a swipe at the puck on the ice that was just covered... I've seen that happen many times a game without getting called for even a minor. In fact, the referee made no signal at all for a penalty until after Stolarz' baseball swing at the back of Ho-Sang's head. Stolarz actions aren't even close to a justifiable response.

Unless he had been hacked and slashed to the point where he had had enough. Even then, a little "love tap" on the back of the leg may have been more justifiable.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby SnapYo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:41 am

marcusd777 wrote:
KnightHawk wrote:

KnightHawk

Ho-Sang's "slash" was a swipe at the puck on the ice that was just covered... I've seen that happen many times a game without getting called for even a minor. In fact, the referee made no signal at all for a penalty until after Stolarz' baseball swing at the back of Ho-Sang's head. Stolarz actions aren't even close to a justifiable response.

Baseball swing is going a little too far. Lets not exaggerate too much. That being said, it was a slash to the head. Regular season, it would be an 8-10 game suspension. Playoffs my guess would be 4-5 if he played on any other team than the Knights. He will probably get 2.

I would also like to see the ref also suspended. Watching the entire play and only give him 2 for high sticking is ridiculous.
SnapYo
NOOFer

Postby Richard 3rd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Why should playoffs decide the length of punishment. The result should be the same just as if it was the regular season. There is no justification for what he did
Richard 3rd
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

[quote="Richard 3rd"]Why should playoffs decide the length of punishment. The result should be the same just as if it was the regular season. There is no justification for what he did[/quote ]

Why is something that is a penalty in the first period not a penalty in overtime?

The whole refereeing system in every league around the world operates the same way
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Wallbanger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Otto wrote:
Why is something that is a penalty in the first period not a penalty in overtime?

The whole refereeing system in every league around the world operates the same way

Didn't you mean 'shift to shift"?

I know what you mean and I suspect most fans/players/management would like consistency. Either keep the whistles in their pockets or call them as they see 'em
and let the players adapt!
As a penniless Canadian society if I want to add my 2 cents worth to any debate I must now round it down therefore I would be back to zero resulting in my opinion being now and forever worthless.
Wallbanger
NOOFer

Postby trentonbasic02 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Richard 3rd wrote:Why should playoffs decide the length of punishment. The result should be the same just as if it was the regular season. There is no justification for what he did

Also because Suspensions can be bought back in the playoffs. Meaning he could get 10 games but it is reduced to 5 because the Knights Organization (or ANY organization) buys back games for a suspension (note: this doesn't apply to all suspensions some may not be bought back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGKSilw ... r_embedded

After watching this many times, I feel its an intent to injure. This is just as bad as a head check. Targeting a players head. And I think Rupert should also get a game for jumping Ho-Sang after he is down (he was not going to do anything until Stolarz hit him) I can almost Guarantee as suspension, because of the National Attention this game had (goalie walking out). If I was handing this suspension out it would be remainder of the play-offs INCLUDING the Memorial Cup. But Branch is in Charge so my Guess is 10 Games Max. The reason I say that is because of his possible reasoning "It will not be fair to the London Knights if Stolarx cannot play in the Memorial Cup Tournament"
trentonbasic02
NOOFer

Postby Sometimes Knows » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I didn't see this particular incident but back in 2002 what is described this time was worth 10 games for David Clarkson and he never even made contact with the player in question. A great big bang on the glass was the only contact he made. I'm glad he was suspended as there was intent and a message needed to be sent. However, the league has changed it's approach on suspensions since then and there is no consistency in what is doled out.
Sometimes Knows
NOOFer

Postby Robbie_Rayzor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm

KnightHawk wrote:

KnightHawk

Spoken like a true Knights apologist. I posted this to see if the Knights faithful would somehow defend the goalie's actions. Good to see some things never change.....
Darryl Sutter to Jerome Iginla one night in Montreal..."Did you bring your dress tonight? No? Well you shouldve because you're playing like a woman."
Belleville Bulls 9
London Knights 2
Robbie_Rayzor
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Robbie_Rayzor wrote:Spoken like a true Knights apologist. I posted this to see if the Knights faithful would somehow defend the goalie's actions. Good to see some things never change.....

I did agree that it was a stupid move, don't forget.

It's probably because we see things differently through the eyes of our own team. I'm sure you would agree had it happened to Belleville.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm

trentonbasic02 wrote:
Richard 3rd wrote:Why should playoffs decide the length of punishment. The result should be the same just as if it was the regular season. There is no justification for what he did

Also because Suspensions can be bought back in the playoffs. Meaning he could get 10 games but it is reduced to 5 because the Knights Organization (or ANY organization) buys back games for a suspension (note: this doesn't apply to all suspensions some may not be bought back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGKSilw ... r_embedded

After watching this many times, I feel its an intent to injure. This is just as bad as a head check. Targeting a players head. And I think Rupert should also get a game for jumping Ho-Sang after he is down (he was not going to do anything until Stolarz hit him) I can almost Guarantee as suspension, because of the National Attention this game had (goalie walking out). If I was handing this suspension out it would be remainder of the play-offs INCLUDING the Memorial Cup. But Branch is in Charge so my Guess is 10 Games Max. The reason I say that is because of his possible reasoning "It will not be fair to the London Knights if Stolarx cannot play in the Memorial Cup Tournament"

This is one of those suspensions that cannot be bought back. Any thing that is automatic can be bought back, but because this one is reviewable It can't
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Robbie_Rayzor wrote:
KnightHawk wrote:

KnightHawk

Spoken like a true Knights apologist. I posted this to see if the Knights faithful would somehow defend the goalie's actions. Good to see some things never change.....

So basically you're a troll.

For the record, I am not defending the actions of Stolarz and I do feel he will and should be suspended
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Robbie_Rayzor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm glad you can still call them like you see them Otto. 8)
Belleville Bulls 9
London Knights 2
Robbie_Rayzor
NOOFer

Postby Nelli27 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Message boards are intended to generate some meaningful discussion/exchange of ideas/etc..., yet the original poster admits to starting the thread to incite Knights' fans. If 'incite' is too strong a word, then try 'provoke', or 'generate a particular response in order to satisfy his anti-London bias'.

There's no quesion that the Stolarz incident is suspension-worthy. Keep in mind Knights' fans do NOT determine suspensions, so if you're unhappy with the length of suspension when it's announced, you would do well to contact the OHL office. No need to infect other posters with any vitriol. I don't mention this to stifle discussion, just pointing out the original poster's motivation. This topic is indeed worthy of discussion.

If I'm Hunter, and am permitted an explanation, I would remind the league office of the following...

1) Stolarz = first-time offender
2) an incident earlier in the season resulted in him sustaining a deep gash that kept him out of the lineup for a number of games. THIS DOES NOT EXCUSE THE ACTION, but might factor into his state of mind. E.g. Overly sensitive to cheap shots after returning from an injury.
3) Ho-Sang did not sustain an injury, at least it didn't prevent him from returning to the game. If the league does not consider consequences but is, Kantian, i.e. looks only to the intention/motivation then it might not find this excuse convincing.

This is simply how I would try to 'sell' it to the league, perhaps even suggest that the blow to the head was unintentional, and that Stolarz was aiming for his back. A quick, one-handed swing is certainly capable of injuring a player, but if he really wanted to ensure that Ho Sang was injured, he would have opted for a two-hander!

Again, let me reiterate, Stolarz IS deserving of a suspension. Knights haters read that final sentence 5 times before responding. Thank you.
"One man is as ten thousand for me, if he is best" (Heraclitus, fr.49)

"It is not a foregone conclusion that the quest for truth for its own sake is simply in harmony with the needs of man as a social and political being", Leo Strauss.
Nelli27
NOOFer

Next

Return to New OHL Open Forum