67's attendance

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

67's attendance

Postby BB King » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Just saw on the OHL website that the crowd at TD place today was 1723. Does anyone remember there being such a sparse crowd since Hunt took over? Friday night's crowd was announced at 4713. Back in the day it seemed like it was almost guaranteed that opening night was going to draw a good crowd. I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come for this proud franchise. I know it's early but I'm a bit worried.
"Me fail english, that's unpossible."
BB King
NOOFer

67's attendance

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 67's attendance

Postby chevalier » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:18 pm

It was a beautiful day on a Thanksgiving long weekend. Pretty sure there were many people enjoying the fall weather and likely celebrating today. The two years at CTC were brutal for many reasons. It will take a bit of time. But folks are missing seeing Travis Barron - he's a beast! Oh, and that Konecny kid is good too! They all played a really good team game today. If they keep playing well, people will start returning.
Somewhere out there, someone is practicing. And when you meet in competition - he will kick your butt!
chevalier
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:12 am

alot of people where i sit were having thanksgiving supper with family sunday. fans will come back as the nice weather goes away and the team keeps playing well.
sec20forever
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:37 am

it looks like there is no free tickets for schools this year so that will hurt crowds and the price of food at the games i think is too much for a family to spend.
sec20forever
NOOFer

Postby BB King » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:01 pm

sec20forever wrote:it looks like there is no free tickets for schools this year so that will hurt crowds and the price of food at the games i think is too much for a family to spend.

Agreed about the food prices, but on the positive side if you park on a side street and make the 10-15 min walk you can afford the $4.00 hot dog or $6.00 popcorn or maybe even the $8.00 poutine.. :lol:
BB King
NOOFer

Postby CHL fan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:48 pm

I did a road trip this weekend and finished up in Ottawa. It was my first time there in about 5 years and boy the rink looks beautiful!! However, here's a little perspective on costs.....

I started in North Bay on Thursday. My ticket was $19 and the parking was free. On Friday I was up in Rouyn-Noranda. Ticket cost was $17 and it cost me $3 to park (basically right in front of the main entrance to the arena). Saturday took me to Val D'Or. My ticket was $17.25 and parking was free. I ended up in Ottawa on Sunday and couldn't believe the price difference. My ticket cost me $32 and it cost $16 to park (and a sandwich and small Pepsi was $12+).....absolutely ridiculous for Junior hockey. I'd be very selective about which games I'd attend if I lived in Ottawa.
CHL fan
NOOFer

Postby rgrs7 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:01 pm

To your point on ticket costs. Was planning a trip to Kingston to see the Rangers there - Adult ticket is $25.50. I can get seats to see the Senators play in Ottawa for $31! Less than a $6 difference from OHL to NHL. Needless to say, we'll go to Ottawa!
rgrs7
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:31 am

at least you can get a luke warm coffee for 2 bucks. i thought i heard them say that a family could afford to buy a few hot dogs a drink or two and maybe a popcorn well now i know why theres a bank across from the rink.
sec20forever
NOOFer

Postby BB King » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 am

I am thankful that we have a first class junior hockey franchise in our fair city don't get me wrong, I'm from Cornwall where the Royals up and left and a huge void was left in the city. I try to make it down there to catch some Colts games but it's doesn't seem right not watching the Royals playing at the Civic Complex.

But I'm going to miss the value menu, where you could get any of the following: hot dog, juice, small pop, small popcorn for only $2! And parking was only $5, sigh.... And the kids pass, where with the purchase of an Adult ticket a child under the age of 12 gets a ticket for only $1 per game. Those were the days of good family value going to a hockey game. I think I may look into some of the deals the Senators have going, like getting a ticket a slice of pizza and a drink starting at $30.

I understand that Ottawa getting on par with the rest of the league with regards to ticket prices and concessions, but it's night and day to the fans who have been going to games forever. I understand you want to stop giving tickets away to get a sense of how many people actually pay for their tickets. I just think it's too much change, too soon. When the 67's last played at the Civic centre weren't all tickets $18? I overheard a conversation at the game the other night between two longtime season ticket holders and they weren't too happy with the extras they paid this year, ie: parking and the upped ticket prices. It's less convenient to get to the game and park and now costs more to get in and have a bite, I hope this isn't a formula for long term fan loss.
BB King
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am

they might get the message when nobody buys anything thats what happened the last time before they brought in family prices. line ups were small at both games . saw some people leave the lineup when they saw the prices .
sec20forever
NOOFer

Postby Malarkey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Reading the prices for other locales made me go and check out what the Hounds prices are (we have had seasons tickets for so long I never bothered looking before!) Adults comes to $21.47 with HST, seniors(60+) and students(13-25 with valid student ID) $18.08, children 2-12 $11.30. And there are student rush seats that go on sale 1 hour before game time for $12 includes HST. Parking is free. While I think our concessions are high, they aren't as bad as some other places you all have mentioned.
HONOUR THE PAST......BUILD THE FUTURE
Malarkey
NOOFer

Postby wombat613 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 pm

No you just got out of a Time Machine, Howard Darwin is the owner, and the Lynx actually play great baseball too.

I for one was sadden by the "Home Opener" attendance. Did they not get more than 5k at CTC for the last two years (11K and 12K).

I am guessing it is because the arena isn't finished (no boxes at the moment, so Sections 1 and 2 are "Priority Seats").

Still BIG markup on "Walk Up" tickets, no picking seats online, more than 50% of ticket price for parking. Lets see how the crowds do, if they choose to public transit in Feb, at -40?

OSEG doesn't seem to care about the 67s right now, and if they keep it up, they can be proud of taking a crown jewel of the CHL and running it into the ground. Goodbye to Windsor, London, and Kitchener, say Hello to Peterborough and Kingston.

Any bets on what the crowds will be down to in March?

Wombat
wombat613
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:18 pm

CHL fan wrote:I did a road trip this weekend and finished up in Ottawa. It was my first time there in about 5 years and boy the rink looks beautiful!! However, here's a little perspective on costs.....

I started in North Bay on Thursday. My ticket was $19 and the parking was free. On Friday I was up in Rouyn-Noranda. Ticket cost was $17 and it cost me $3 to park (basically right in front of the main entrance to the arena). Saturday took me to Val D'Or. My ticket was $17.25 and parking was free. I ended up in Ottawa on Sunday and couldn't believe the price difference. My ticket cost me $32 and it cost $16 to park (and a sandwich and small Pepsi was $12+).....absolutely ridiculous for Junior hockey. I'd be very selective about which games I'd attend if I lived in Ottawa.

??? ......$32.00 for a ticket AND $16.00 for parking ...... ???
$80.00 for the wife and I to be entertained (hopefully) twice in December, is off the hook.
Thanks for the heads up; I'll strike that off the menu as potential entertainment in Ottawa this winter.
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby BB King » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 pm

So I came up with some calculations for average ticket prices from around the league, if I was to walkup and buy tickets for me and my son. (service fees not included)

Barrie - $21.83
Belleville - Adult $19.33 Child $16.33
Erie - Adult $20 Child $13
Guelph - Adult $24 Child $17
Kingston - Adult $26 Child $24 (hard to get an average price for tickets on the website)
Kitchener - Adult $21.75 Child $17.75
London - $19.75
Missy - Adult $20.28 Child $17.08
Niagara $25 (premium $35)
North Bay - Adult $19 Child $13.50
Oshawa - $24.38
Ottawa - Adult $25.67 Child $19.67
Owen Sound - Adult $20.75 Child $11
Peterborough - Adult $22.13 Child $14.67
Plymouth - $14
Saginaw - Adult $ 17 Child $15
Sarnia - Adult $24 Child $15
Soo - Adult $21.75 Child $11.30
Sudbury - Adult $20.33 Child $17.33
Windsor - Adult $ 22 Child $15

Ottawa has gone from all tickets being $18 for adults pre renovation to $25+ service charges post renovation. I'd say Hunt and co. are fleecing 67's fans for the new Football/soccer stadium. Their Football tickets prices are at par with the rest of the CFL or maybe even a bit lower.
BB King
NOOFer

Postby OMG » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:59 am

I walked away from my $100 non-refundable deposit when I was asked for $1200 for two tickets and parking. Compared to regularly priced tickets, you have to say that is CHEAP! I still walked away. The games are televised on Rogers in HD. I just don't see the point anymore. Travel is difficult on Friday nights so we would have to eat dinner either in the rink or at one of the restaurants outside the rink which adds a huge amount to the full game night cost. I just makes no sense anymore.

I really like that Lansdowne is redeveloped and that we have a sports "empire" now in Ottawa. The Red Blacks are the shiny penny right now. They are getting attendance. they have done all the right things there and that is the centre piece of that "empire." the 67's have taken a back seat. They will remain passengers on that bus. It is unfortunate. The management has decided to go with less attendance and higher prices. It will eventually affect the marketing and advertising sales as well with so few butts in the seats. At some point, attendance will have to go up to maintain the marketing and advertising prices. Who wants to buy signage for 3000 people on a good day?
OMG
NOOFer

Postby wombat613 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 am

Unfortunately it is the full game dame experience that has suffered.

I will admit, most fans have a standard routine, and probably that has all been turned upside down with the renovations, but some of it has to go to the fan to adjust to the new digs. Talking to another X-Season ticket holder, who went to the home opener, he noted that there was nothing going happening on the concourse. They use to have house band playing, Ray's Reptile, face painting, etc etc (heck I remember a few wrasseling matches in the one corner).

The game sheet use to have a score card on it, now blank back (which I think is dumb, you could easily put it on the back with some advertising, or a coupon for one of the fancy stores going on site).

About the only real positive was the vendors in the stands, which was nice since we couldn't find the popcorn vendor on the concourse. Finding the Hot Chocolate took a bit of walking, but now I know where that is, again on my side to adjust to the new digs.

Wonder how many of those vendors will be needed with only 3000 fans?

None of those things are major taken on their own, you know I can walk the concourse between periods without having crowds at a house band or a wrestling ring, I can print out my own score card and bring it with me etc etc, but I think it all shows the lack of caring/passion from OSEG.

Wombat
wombat613
NOOFer

Postby browser » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:28 am

There has been allot of changes and think there might be more to come. Look at the whole operation. All the changes in office staff. Some who had been there for a long time. Noticed that the Booster Club hung in there.Wonder what kind of return they will get. Good for them. Not giving out line ups, parking, not telling the fans doors dont open until 1 hour before game starts. Hunt had it to 1 1/2 hour before game time as he didn't want his "Fans" standing out in the cold weather. Ticket booth is outside at Gate 3. Thats ok if you are going to a football or soccer game. Won't that be just lovely standing out there at -15 in the middle of the winter to get a ticket. Guess they are wanting everybody to buy tickets on line to avoid standing outside. What about those who decide at the last minute to go to the game. The walk up crowds were a big part of sales when they had the ticket booths inside Gates 1 & 4.

It's the start of a new era at TD Place and so far not sure how this is all going to go.
browser
NOOFer

Postby wombat613 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 pm

browser wrote:Hunt had it to 1 1/2 hour before game time as he didn't want his "Fans" standing out in the cold weather. Ticket booth is outside at Gate 3. Thats ok if you are going to a football or soccer game. Won't that be just lovely standing out there at -15 in the middle of the winter to get a ticket. Guess they are wanting everybody to buy tickets on line to avoid standing outside. What about those who decide at the last minute to go to the game. The walk up crowds were a big part of sales when they had the ticket booths inside Gates 1 & 4.

On the same note if one has mobility issues they will send a golf cart to bring people from the parking area to the gate, very nice for football/soccer, wonder how well they will run in 2 inches of slush, because people with mobility issues will have an easier time in February.

I was talking to a ticket rep, about not being able to pick my tickets online, he stated to email him, so I did 16-AA-1,2. "We are not selling tickets to the upper bowl at this time".

Personally I will give them this year to work out some of the bigger kinks, but if this is the future of Jr. Hockey in Ottawa, then we can all thank Mr. Hunt for keeping it here for a good decade.

Wombat
wombat613
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:02 pm

they had oc transpo buses waiting after the game friday but none sunday. there was going to be more buses running on bank st game day did not see any. asked why they do not open till one hour before game time they said we are with the other teams that play here.
sec20forever
NOOFer

Postby sec20forever » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 am

not a great crowd for a night with the killer behind the bench. three years ago the place would have been packed. they what people to take the bus to the game but yet instead of having a bus waiting after the fan had to wait up to 30 min for a bus some fans said they wont be back.
sec20forever
NOOFer

Next

Return to New OHL Open Forum