Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Postby Eagle Vision » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 am

Speculation in terms of the NTDP teams playing out of Compuware seem to be turning into reality:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2014/ ... /70049796/

For those whom haven't been following the situation, the Plymouth Whalers have been (or have been speculated to have been) on sale for some time now. The hook is that you have to acquire the "White Elephant" Compuware Sports Arena with the team. The home of the Whalers since the late 90's, and moving the team would obviously leave the two ice-pad complex without a major tennant.

I really don't see the two co-existing, and as many of us know the deadline to submit an application to move a team is next month.

Obviously there's going to be speculation in terms of where the team might move or even who would be interested in purchasing the team.

Having the team wander through the Palace and other venues again doesn't seem like a viable solution going forward, even for one season. Joe Louis Arena would be a semi-viable solution, if it were updated in similar fashion to MLG, but plans are underway to demolish the arena once the Wings leave for their new home in 2017.

Without a move to Flint, Port Huron or Chatham, we would be likely looking at some form of division re-alignment.
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

Postby duke1036 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm a looonnnggggg time OHL/Belleville Bulls fan, but I feel the pain and anxiety of the
other OHL teams' fans when I hear stuff like this.
Another fear is that the Bulls may be next........if anyone wants them.
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 am

Flint would be interesting...

I've heard a lot of different things, from "Karmanos is building a new arena for the Whalers" to "They are moving to Canada". I've heard no fewer than 5 different cities mentioned. I've heard they will continue to play out of Compuware, sharing with the US-NDTP.

Can the Program and the Whalers share Compuware Arena? I s'pose in the short term. But in the long term it would definitely create problems. One being the area is already stretched for billets. Adding 2 more teams' worth of players that need homes would be tough (but not impossible. There used to be a Compuware Ambassador team in the NAHL that played at Compuware, many of those players were billeting). Another issue is locker room space. Add to that the fact that both the U17 and the U18 teams play the majority of their games on the weekends - just like the Whalers. There are 2 ice pads at Compuware (the Whalers play on the NHL ice, the other is Olympic), so I s'pose it could be done, but it would be a logistical headache. Besides games, trying to fit practices and workouts in would take some creative scheduling. They'd compete against each other for fans in an area where fans seem to be hard to come by. There would have to be room for offices for each program. I'm sure there are more issues I haven't even thought of.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:58 pm

DG - Of all of the rumours it would appear to me that Karmanos building a new arena would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of as likley as the team moving to Owen Sound and having lots of Friday night games while sharing the Bayshore with the Attack.

On the other hand with the pride & insanity that Peter Karmanos has who knows, we could end up with a Karmanos Arena.

Perhaps its a complete lack of understanding on my part how the US-NDTP works. But . . . . don't they consider the Whalers and OHL as mortal enemies??

My worst nightmare if I'm the US-NDTP is that the Whalers are in my building returning to the glory-years they had with Maurice and DeBoer at the helm, everyone's getting drafted and signing contracts, they're talking and mingling with US-NDTP players and if not directly their personal individual successes are getting smeared in everyone's faces.

If I'm the NDTP team, the first thing that I do is terminate their lease. It may not make sense from a business (dollars & cents) approach in the immediate, but it's the only way.

For the record, I think that Flint is a pretty horrible option for a home for the Whalers. The only glaring positive is the population, the fact that ECHL or nothing else is near-by and the fact that they probably have a number of decent hockey fans there. The arena is not so great, and the local economy for sponsorship is probably somewhere between bad and terrible.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Sea Bass » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Brampton could use a team...
Sea Bass
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Sea Bass wrote:Brampton could use a team...

As much as you could be kidding or saying this tongue-in-cheek. Consider this a non-possibility. Unlike when the two teams joined the league and despite the common-sense that would see in allowing this, I don't see the Steelheads waving their veto vote.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Slugger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:13 pm

I am humbled by your post.
Slugger
NOOFer

Postby Sea Bass » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Slugger wrote:

I am humbled by your post.

In fact, you are.
Sea Bass
NOOFer

Postby Sea Bass » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:

As much as you could be kidding or saying this tongue-in-cheek. Consider this a non-possibility. Unlike when the two teams joined the league and despite the common-sense that would see in allowing this, I don't see the Steelheads waving their veto vote.

I was very much saying this tongue in cheek.

But do the Steelheads actually have a veto now that Brampton vacated the premises?
Sea Bass
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Sea Bass wrote:
Eagle Vision wrote:

I was very much saying this tongue in cheek.

But do the Steelheads actually have a veto now that Brampton vacated the premises?

Yes.

Or at least precdent would lead me to believe that they would.

Back in 1991 I believe that Kitchener could have blocked the move of the Dukes of Hamitton to Guelph despite the fact that the Guelph Platers had just left Guelph a few years earlier. Their permission may have been flat-out requested while acquiring the team.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Duke Guy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Someone above mentioned Flint and it seems to be about a 40 minute drive from Saginaw. Could that work for rivalry purposes?
Duke Guy
NOOFer

Postby SooBass » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 am

As much of a remote possibilty as it is, the move to Chatham always seem to have legs. There have been articles in the paper here, detailing potential moves, coupled with the fact that Chatham desperately needs updated arenas. The old Navistar plant on Richmond was torn down and now there is a massive plot of land sitting there empty, in the heart of Chatham's hotel area, close to the 401. Whispers and innuendo are nothing new here, but, it remains a possibility. About a year ago a friend of mine who ran a very popular coffee chain in Canada was approached asking if he would be interested in buying a luxury box for a new "OHL style" arena, with the implications being that said arena would house an OHL team.

Pros -
#1. Good hockey market with a history of a strong Jr B franchise
#2. Centrally located

The cons are -

#1. It's Chatham. I live here and I can't stand it.
#2. Proximity to London/Windsor/Sarnia - could make for rivalries but they are so close does it over-saturate the region? (tie in with Pro 2)
#3. The Jr B Maroons have a solid following and there is a percentage of fans who don't want to see them gone. Personally, I can't stand Jr B hockey and would love A.
#4. Chatham's ecomony or lack thereof. Maybe that ties in with #1 but, I'm not sure Chatham Kent could support Jr A hockey.
SooBass
NOOFer

Postby BB King » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 am

Why not Cornwall? North Bay got their team back with solid ownership and the fans are coming back and things seem to trending in the right direction. The Cornwall Colts are leading the CCHL in attendance and have been near the top of that category since they were founded and that's for a tier II team. I've said it before, with solid ownership junior hockey could thrive in Cornwall. I hope the possibility is at least explored from the league.
"Me fail english, that's unpossible."
BB King
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:51 pm

BB King wrote:Why not Cornwall? North Bay got their team back with solid ownership and the fans are coming back and things seem to trending in the right direction. The Cornwall Colts are leading the CCHL in attendance and have been near the top of that category since they were founded and that's for a tier II team. I've said it before, with solid ownership junior hockey could thrive in Cornwall. I hope the possibility is at least explored from the league.

You can only state that the the league should start "exploring" when they're looking at expansion franchises. The league will only expand when the incumbent teams are all on solid footing or it benefits the league as a whole . . . . or if they are just desperate for expansion fees.

Cornwall according to any influence the league . . .or board of governors has, is a viable location because it has an Arena capable of support OHL hockey and isn't within the drawing boundries of another franchise, the only influence that the league would use to block a move to Cornwall is if Belleville or Ottawa or some other long-standing OHL city with good fan support tried moving a team there, the league would probably speak to the owners about looking to sell the franchise to someone in the region whom would NOT be looking to relocate the club. The league exerted this influence when the Platers were almost relocated to Cornwall and again earlier when they tried to relocate the Kingston Canadiens.

Aside from that the league has little or no influence. You have the owner that wants a team in Cornwall and there's no chance of ownership being able to make a run at things in the current locale, they're on the way to Cornwall.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:19 pm

I would like to see a team in Ohio or New York state
Otto
NOOFer

Postby A&F » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:42 pm

I think Terry Pegula and Buffalo screwed up by only making the HarborCenter hold 1800.
A&F
NOOFer

Postby beckroadbully » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:39 am

Team USA has blueprints already to add a 2 story office on the south end & new weight room & all the dressing rooms are getting redone & Catholic Central is footing the bill for the one they use. But mums the word.
beckroadbully
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 pm

beckroadbully wrote:Team USA has blueprints already to add a 2 story office on the south end & new weight room & all the dressing rooms are getting redone & Catholic Central is footing the bill for the one they use. But mums the word.

...and Catholic Central plays the majority of their home games on Friday & Saturday night as well.

Would the south end be the open dead area behind the pro shop? I could see an addition there.
Donna

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:41 am

Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby CHL fan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:26 am

Looks Chatham is the desired destination for Mr. Karmanos

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... g-the-net/
CHL fan
NOOFer

Next

Return to New OHL Open Forum