Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Re: Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

Postby SooBass » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 am

Yep....I was just going to say that - just read the Daily News this morning.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2014/12/08/ohls-whalers-eye-chatham-for-new-home
SooBass
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PeteMoss » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Flint looking for USHL team to close the loop there - http://www.cksn.ca/2014/12/flint-ushl-n ... iscussion/
PeteMoss
NOOFer

Postby BKoT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm

CHL fan wrote:Looks Chatham is the desired destination for Mr. Karmanos

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... g-the-net/

Karmanos on the struggles in Plymouth: "It was continually a battle to break even there, no matter how good we did as a team."

And one can lay that squarely on Karmanos' shoulders. His hockey operations team just never gave this team a chance to rise above obscurity.
First he builds a boring, non-inviting building out in the middle of nowhere. Sure, some new establishments have been built in the area, but the area is still mostly industrial and/or offices. There's just no drive-by entertainment traffic in that area.
The team could have done much better with a nicer building somewhere closer to the downtown area of Plymouth. Granted I don't know much about land prices, but there are some open areas well large enough for a good arena and parking.

Then as far as media exposure goes, you could read and hear more about the Whalers in the Windsor news than right here in their home city. I understand that 96.3 and 99.5 mention the team often enough, but that's just a drop in the bucket. It's the news outlets that need to cover and comment on the team. even if it's just short blurb for about as long as they give the UofM or State teams.
Also, Pete Krupsky has always done an outstanding job as a play-by-play announcer. Problem is, unless you were within just a few miles of the area, you'd never hear him on the radio. I greatly enjoyed the in-roads taken by finally broadcasting most of the home games live on Comcast, but there needed to be more away games as well.
Also I think that with the (relatively) new FM sports station in town (105.1), it would have been perfect to broadcast maybe one game a week (unless trumped by the Pistons). It would have allowed the station to broadcast more local content and would have greatly extended public knowledge of the team. I'll be interested if Pete has anything to say on the matter during the game vs SSM on Wednesday.

As a long time season ticket holder, I am really hoping that a move isn't in the cards, but with each day that goes by, it looks more and more like a done deal. Especially with the impending sale of the building.
BKoT
NOOFer

Postby SooBass » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Honestly, as much as I feel your pain, I would desperately love to see the Whalers move here to Chatham. This town needs something to really cling to. I know many many other towns and cities have gone through economic turmoil and downturns, but in the 27 years I have lived here, it's never been this downtrodden and bleak. Not to mention we tremendously need a new arena complex so we can ditch Memorial and Erickson. There is great prime real estate where Navistar used to be, close to the 401 and hotels, that would be perfect. And Chatham is a great hockey community. Having said all that, I've witnessed the lunacy and moronic behaviour of our city council before, when the Hunters wanted to come here....and we all know how that turned out. I'm not holding my breath.
SooBass
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 am

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 pm

So let me get this straight... there is no OHL-suitable rink in Chatham yet, so in order for the Whalers to move for next season one will have to be built in about 8 months, or else the team will be nomads for a season. There is no tv in Chatham, so they'd have to depend on Windsor Cogeco, which is already committed to the Spits.

Why does this sound familiar?
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Danger Girl wrote:So let me get this straight... there is no OHL-suitable rink in Chatham yet, so in order for the Whalers to move for next season one will have to be built in about 8 months, or else the team will be nomads for a season. There is no tv in Chatham, so they'd have to depend on Windsor Cogeco, which is already committed to the Spits.

They could also rely on Rogers in London or Cogeco from Sarnia. But that being said, any sale would require league approval. Don't they need that by the end of this calendar year in order to move next season? I don't think the league would want Chatham over Ohio, New York State, or even Hamilton or Cornwall. But aside from that I would be surprised if they could get a decent enough proposal together in the next three weeks that would entice the league to vote in favour of a move to Chatham.
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I don't know if I would say "it's growing legs" It's the same information that was reported on Monday
Otto
NOOFer

Postby ohlfan87 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Otto wrote:
Danger Girl wrote:So let me get this straight... there is no OHL-suitable rink in Chatham yet, so in order for the Whalers to move for next season one will have to be built in about 8 months, or else the team will be nomads for a season. There is no tv in Chatham, so they'd have to depend on Windsor Cogeco, which is already committed to the Spits.

They could also rely on Rogers in London or Cogeco from Sarnia. But that being said, any sale would require league approval. Don't they need that by the end of this calendar year in order to move next season? I don't think the league would want Chatham over Ohio, New York State, or even Hamilton or Cornwall. But aside from that I would be surprised if they could get a decent enough proposal together in the next three weeks that would entice the league to vote in favour of a move to Chatham.

With the sale of Compuware Arena, I wouldn't be surprised if the league has known about the possible relocation for sometime, and a proposal has already been submitted.

If the city of Chatham has plans to build a new arena, which they had discussed back in March, I wouldn't be surprised if the OHL went along with the relocation, and would be similar to when the Ice Dogs moved to St. Catharines. Besides, this move wouldn't have an impact on the divisions, where as a move to either Cornwall, Hamilton or New York State would result in realignment.
Arena's Visited: Kitchener, Niagara, Peterborough, Mississauga, Oshawa, Owen Sound, Belleville, London, Windsor, Guelph, Erie, Barrie, Sudbury, Plymouth, Sarnia, Saginaw, the Soo, Kingston, Ottawa and North Bay!
ohlfan87
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Donna

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:29 pm

ohlfan87 wrote:
Otto wrote:

With the sale of Compuware Arena, I wouldn't be surprised if the league has known about the possible relocation for sometime, and a proposal has already been submitted.

Good point
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 pm

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Karmanos go head and do whatever he wants anyway, Branch be damned.

A cage match between Karmanos and Branch would be epic. It could be the "Battle of the Ginormous Noggins" - lots of head butts and evil stares.
Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby ohlfan87 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm

I don't really think there is much the league can do at this point. The writing is on the wall unfortunately, the Whalers won't have a home in September if the league blocks the move.
Arena's Visited: Kitchener, Niagara, Peterborough, Mississauga, Oshawa, Owen Sound, Belleville, London, Windsor, Guelph, Erie, Barrie, Sudbury, Plymouth, Sarnia, Saginaw, the Soo, Kingston, Ottawa and North Bay!
ohlfan87
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Otto wrote:

I don't know if I would say "it's growing legs" It's the same information that was reported on Monday

I suppose I could have added that it takes legs to reach this part of the OHL world, but I thought it
was well known that we are not at the epicentre of the OHL universe.
It's finally made the news in the far east !
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby kerrkat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am

kerrkat
NOOFer

Postby BKoT » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 pm

It's too bad that this is the most press the Whalers have received since.. well, probably ever.
:roll:
BKoT
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:56 pm

While the shear amount of players graduating out of the Whalers organization in Plymouth is good if not great for the OHL's reputation. Watching what outside of hockey operations, a complete Mickey Mouse operation run in Plymouth where the many of the blips in attendance beyond 3,000 seem to be from complete giveaways seems to leave a negative taste in my mouth. Look at the arena down in Toledo, look at the attendance down in Toledo for the ECHL, arenas in D1 colleges, etc. That place simply does not show well. Food is excellent, people are nice, but plays pretty minor league in my opinion.
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:01 am

Eagle Vision wrote:While the shear amount of players graduating out of the Whalers organization in Plymouth is good if not great for the OHL's reputation. Watching what outside of hockey operations, a complete Mickey Mouse operation run in Plymouth where the many of the blips in attendance beyond 3,000 seem to be from complete giveaways seems to leave a negative taste in my mouth. Look at the arena down in Toledo, look at the attendance down in Toledo for the ECHL, arenas in D1 colleges, etc. That place simply does not show well. Food is excellent, people are nice, but plays pretty minor league in my opinion.

Where are they giving away tickets in Plymouth and how come in 15 years I've never heard of such giveaways, yet you know about them in Kitchener? The only one I'm aware of was active and former military got in free at the Veterans' Day game.

Looks like Flint is back in, at least the rumor mill is still turning. http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/aaa/what ... -going-on/
Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am

We were there on Scouts' night and I usually have an open mind about people, like people trying to unload tickets so this dude comes up to us in line while we're trying to buy tickets. How many tickets you need?? Quick count - 6, some of us did the Auto show earlier that day.

The guy passes me 6 tickets and I'm trying to get some money from the group, I turn around and he's gone and I have 6 tickets in my hand that all state: $0.00 on them. I'm not making rumours, these were tickets that I paid a total of $0.00 for with my hard work, blood, sweat and tears!!!

I still think that many aspects of the Plymouth Whalers "experience" seem amateur to many of the premier rinks in the OHL (I would include Saginaw in that group), and much of that is just the arena itself.
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:We were there on Scouts' night and I usually have an open mind about people, like people trying to unload tickets so this dude comes up to us in line while we're trying to buy tickets. How many tickets you need?? Quick count - 6, some of us did the Auto show earlier that day.

The guy passes me 6 tickets and I'm trying to get some money from the group, I turn around and he's gone and I have 6 tickets in my hand that all state: $0.00 on them. I'm not making rumours, these were tickets that I paid a total of $0.00 for with my hard work, blood, sweat and tears!!!

I still think that many aspects of the Plymouth Whalers "experience" seem amateur to many of the premier rinks in the OHL (I would include Saginaw in that group), and much of that is just the arena itself.

So you translate one guy giving you 6 tickets once into "many of the blips in attendance beyond 3,000 seem to be from complete giveaways". Got it. I was with a group in Kitchener once. We ended up with extra tickets so we gave them away. Clearly according to your logic, most of Kitchener's sellout are due to giveaways, too. Lesson learned. Got my pound of salt ready for your next post.
Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

PreviousNext

Return to New OHL Open Forum