Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Re: Whalers could be on the move sooner than later . . . .

Postby puckk » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:03 am

Now that settles it! ... Everywhere Peter Debour has been and left, the organiations turn to crap! Whew! :D
It's too bad to lose the Plymouth as an OHL city.
Regards,
Puckk
puckk
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby beckroadbully » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:52 am

1980 called- they want Compuware back along with its 2 small bathrooms & 1970 red lite boards with the crumbling parking lot in the middle of nowhere.
beckroadbully
NOOFer

Postby BigBen3 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Well, the OHL Relocation Deadline(December 31st) has passed and the Whalers did not apply for relocation. This means that they will remain in Plymouth for the 2015-16 season.
BigBen3
NOOFer

Postby OHLArenaGuide » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 am

BigBen3 wrote:Well, the OHL Relocation Deadline(December 31st) has passed and the Whalers did not apply for relocation. This means that they will remain in Plymouth for the 2015-16 season.

Uh, no. We don't know if they've applied or not - if there was a business case for not making the details public, they wouldn't. The league deadline isn't a public one.
Arenas visited for games:
OHL: 19 current (28 all-time)
QMJHL: 10 (12)
NHL: 19 (23)
AHL: 5 (6)
NCAA: 3

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com
http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com
OHLArenaGuide
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:07 pm

OHLArenaGuide wrote:
BigBen3 wrote:Well, the OHL Relocation Deadline(December 31st) has passed and the Whalers did not apply for relocation. This means that they will remain in Plymouth for the 2015-16 season.

Uh, no. We don't know if they've applied or not - if there was a business case for not making the details public, they wouldn't. The league deadline isn't a public one.

True. Plus I think Pete Karmanos is more of a "blaze your own trail" kinda guy and league deadlines mean very little to him, especially in a league that has proven repeatedly that deadlines are a joke.
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby BigBen3 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Someone would have leaked it by now. As it has been proven many times in this league information doesn't stay confidential at all. Also if USA hockey does acquire the building they would have to go before the township of Plymouth before any building improvements could be made. From what I have heard that they want to do to the building if they acquire it. It will take at least two years before they have it the way they want it.

Only time will tell. I found this article interesting though. It states that no firm resolution would be made by the December 31st relocation deadline:

http://www.cksn.ca/2014/12/ohl-team-mak ... ent-visit/
BigBen3
NOOFer

Postby KnightzRool » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Looks like the new owners of Flint's Perani Arena are in talks with the Whalers... makes sense to me.

http://mihockeynow.com/2015/01/report-n ... franchise/
KnightzRool
NOOFer

Postby beckroadbully » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 am

USA Hockey have blueprints to redo the rundown arena- I have seen them for the 2 story addition.
beckroadbully
NOOFer

Postby ranger26 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:57 pm

A press conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow. Expect Flint to me named as their new home
OHL arenas not visited at least twice- Sault St.Marie, Peterborough
ranger26
NOOFer

Postby nomorei1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:25 pm

I see this move turning out horribly. Not gonna draw flies in that area. If Peter K had spent half as much money on advertising as he did on partying with Detroit's former Mayor, he may have been able to draw better crowds in Plymouth. I see this lasting 2 years tops before moving again.

Can anyone see some Canadian parent googling Flint and seeing what a craphole that area is? I can see someone not letting their kids go there to play, and refusing to report if drafted.

The wheels were set in motion on this one early in the year. P.K. set it up to fail, by

1. Moving Mikey V to Carolina to make sure his buddy was taken care of. Looks like it's going well with the Canes in last place :mrgreen:
2. Bringing in an Uncle Fester look alike with no head coaching experience to run the Whalers into the ground, and assure small crowds by not being competitive.

There's more, I'm just too P'd off right now to go further.
Gonna enjoy my last 16 games and no playoffs for the 1st time in many years.
nomorei1
NOOFer

Postby speedbagged » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:23 pm

For all the flack Flint takes, it's usually from people that have never been there and live in Suburbia. Just like any city like Flint, say Saginaw, Pontiac or even Detroit and Windsor, there are bad areas and then better areas. The Perani Arena is on the outskirts and not in a war zone. This coming from someone who knows the area, lives in the area and spends time in Flint proper. The rink isn't in the crime-infested ghetto. The city has its good parts, trust me, but all people want to discuss is the negativity because it's easier to focus on the negatives and pile on than it is to do research and find the positives.

Now granted, Flint is admittedly FAR from the Plymouth population, million-dollar homes and spry community, but maybe give Flint a shot first and then if it fails, then you can play the "I told you so" card.

All I can say is Flint is more of a hockey town than Plymouth ever was or is. Just give it a chance, people.
"Who do you play for?"
"USA!!"
speedbagged
NOOFer

Postby puckk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:31 pm

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit- ... int/22014/

Looks like the team is moving to Flint.
Speedbagged, you might want to sign up for ambassador for the City of Flint! :D
I'm packin' my bags and heading to Goodrich, tho!!
Regards,
Puckk
puckk
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:09 am

CHL fan wrote:Looks Chatham is the desired destination for Mr. Karmanos

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... g-the-net/

Looks like Chatham "couldn't get their act together". I know this because it says so twice in this article.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index ... lin_1.html
Donna

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby BPFox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 pm

speedbagged wrote:For all the flack Flint takes, it's usually from people that have never been there and live in Suburbia. Just like any city like Flint, say Saginaw, Pontiac or even Detroit and Windsor, there are bad areas and then better areas. The Perani Arena is on the outskirts and not in a war zone. This coming from someone who knows the area, lives in the area and spends time in Flint proper. The rink isn't in the crime-infested ghetto. The city has its good parts, trust me, but all people want to discuss is the negativity because it's easier to focus on the negatives and pile on than it is to do research and find the positives.

Now granted, Flint is admittedly FAR from the Plymouth population, million-dollar homes and spry community, but maybe give Flint a shot first and then if it fails, then you can play the "I told you so" card.

All I can say is Flint is more of a hockey town than Plymouth ever was or is. Just give it a chance, people.

Speedbagged is spot on with his assessment of the situation. With Mott CC and UofM Flint as college options and Grand Blanc High School for the younger guys, the education situation will match up with any OHL city. Schedule shouldn't be a problem. Travel will only impact Erie and Windsor in a negative way and not by that much. For most Canadian teams Flint is about 10 miles closer than Plymouth. For the Soo and Saginaw, it will be closer by more than 30 miles. Saginaw and Flint have a hockey history going back to the early 70's. If they can re-kindle that, then it will mean bigger crowds in both locations as many visiting fans will choose to make the short trip between the two cities. Perani arena is right off Interstate 69 in the suburbs. The property borders on the highway. It is surrounded by residential neighborhoods and shopping areas. Flint gets the same bad wrap as Saginaw does. Do both of these cities have bad areas? Sure they do, but what larger city doesn't? We've had kids not want to report to Saginaw, but once the player and his parents come and visit the city, they more often than not decide to stay. There is no doubt in my mind that Flint will turn out to be a very good OHL city. Having said all of this, I would like to see some minor adjustments to the schedule. Currently Plymouth has rivalry games with Saginaw and Windsor. Windsor has rivalry games with Plymouth and London. London has rivalry games with Windsor and Sarnia. Saginaw has rivalry games with Plymouth, Sarnia and the Soo. I believe Saginaw is the only team that plays 8 games against 3 teams. (London for example, doesn't play 8 games against anyone) Currently Saginaw only plays Owen Sound twice. I would like to see them get back to how it was before North Bay came into the league. I think the new Flint team should have rivalry games against Saginaw and Sarnia. I think Saginaw should have it's rivalry games against Flint and Windsor. I also think Saginaw should get it's two games against Owen Sound back. Not sure how all that could get done, but I think it is worth trying to figure out.
Congrats to Jake Paterson for being the best #2 star in the history of #2 stars.
BPFox
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:43 pm

BPFox wrote:I think the new Flint team should have rivalry games against Saginaw and Sarnia. I think Saginaw should have it's rivalry games against Flint and Windsor. I also think Saginaw should get it's two games against Owen Sound back. Not sure how all that could get done, but I think it is worth trying to figure out.

Saginaw will always have rivalry games against SSM. At least until Gaylord gets a team. It will be interesting to see where Windsor's 2 extra games go (until Rolf Nilsen's son finishes his OA year and the Flint team moves to Chatham.) ;)
Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 am

Duke Guy wrote:Someone above mentioned Flint and it seems to be about a 40 minute drive from Saginaw. Could that work for rivalry purposes?

I have been hearing all week long that it's Flint they are setting up shop in , and I also heard that that move has already been approved by the league ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby The Man22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:48 pm

feedback wrote:
Duke Guy wrote:Someone above mentioned Flint and it seems to be about a 40 minute drive from Saginaw. Could that work for rivalry purposes?

I have been hearing all week long that it's Flint they are setting up shop in , and I also heard that that move has already been approved by the league ..

Considering they had a press conference to announce the fact that they ARE moving to Flint. I think it is safe to say they are " setting up shop in Flint".
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:35 am

The Man22 wrote:
feedback wrote:

Considering they had a press conference to announce the fact that they ARE moving to Flint. I think it is safe to say they are " setting up shop in Flint".

Here ya go, straight from the horse's mouth...
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/article/ ... or-2015-16
Donna

Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby storm222 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:57 am

Why would they want to move there with all that high crime rate. How would some of the parents think about letting kids playing there.
storm222
NOOFer

Postby speedbagged » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

The players won't be living in Flint - just playing there. They'll be billeting in the Grand Blanc area - not as affluent as Plymouth, but very, very nice.
"Who do you play for?"
"USA!!"
speedbagged
NOOFer

PreviousNext

Return to New OHL Open Forum