Oshawa Insanity

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Oshawa Insanity

Postby overbank99 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:59 pm

it appears that the Generals will not have a 2nd round pick in the OHL draft until the year 2022.
its time that Branch stepped in and put a limit on how many years ahead a team can trade a draft
choice.
I hope the Gens go deep in the playoffs this season as they won't see the post season for quite
awhile after all the picks they have given up this year and in the past 2 years.
overbank99
NOOFer

Oshawa Insanity

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Oshawa Insanity

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:23 pm

I thought they did limit how far in advance you could trade picks? Did I just dream that, or is it 6 years?

Good luck to Matt Mistele in the 'Shwa. He's leading the Whalers in scoring, and having a great year. I hope he's still playing in May.
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby ecraigs » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 am

I think it is kind of exciting to watch the little tykes playing in the intermission and realizing that someone is trading their draft rights at the same time. It will all get fixed when the "Sperm and Egg" draft gets going.
67's Season Tickets - 39 years
Memorial Cups in Hull (2), Kitchener, Ottawa, Regina, Guelph, Quebec, London(2), Moncton, Vancouver, Kitchener, Brandon, Mississauga, Shawinigan, Saskatoon
ecraigs
NOOFer

Postby frontneac » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 pm

who cares? that's their problem if they mortgaged their future on this season.
frontneac
NOOFer

Postby lacubs » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Branch shouldn't step in! it should be up to the team GM and owner to make the right decisions for your franchise

Erie it the same same boat but, might even deeper
lacubs
NOOFer

Postby redlight » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:27 pm

They traded 15 picks since december 1.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/east-div ... raft-board this list was last updated on dec 30 i believe.
redlight
NOOFer

Postby puckk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Overbank, I agree, the OHL (CHL) needs to institute some kind of "Ted Stepien" type rule that the NBA adopted years ago.
Trading 15 picks is no guarantee of anything.
Otters traded at least 10 away this year.
Regards,
Puckk
http://basketball.about.com/od/collegeb ... n-rule.htm
puckk
NOOFer

Postby BB King » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:35 am

I've said this before and I'll say it again, allow teams to trade their 1st round picks and there wouldn't be as many 2nd rounders packaged in the big deals. I don't understand how a guy who oversees all three leagues in the CHL and allows it in the Q and the W but doesn't allow it in his league. Head scratcher.
"Me fail english, that's unpossible."
BB King
NOOFer

Postby thegill » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:56 am

it seems the league needs rules to protect the GM's from doing stupid trades - like 6 draft picks for one player
thegill
NOOFer

Postby redlight » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:55 pm

BB King wrote:I've said this before and I'll say it again, allow teams to trade their 1st round picks and there wouldn't be as many 2nd rounders packaged in the big deals. I don't understand how a guy who oversees all three leagues in the CHL and allows it in the Q and the W but doesn't allow it in his league. Head scratcher.

No better in the quebec league just look at the quebec rempart they traded all there 1-2-3 picks till 2019 except 1 3rd pick.
redlight
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Since December 1st, they traded:

3rd rounder in '15
3rd, 6th and 10th in '16
2nd, 3rd and 4th in '17 -- the 3rd rounder is conditional (Brent Pedersen deal)
2nd, 3rd and 4th in '18 -- the 4th rounder is conditional (Brent Pedersen deal)
2nd and 3rd in '19 -- the 2nd rounder is conditional (Dakota Mermis deal)
2nd in '20
2nd in '21

PLUS, they did not have their 2nd round pick in '15. Peterborough ended up with it, and traded it to Windsor in the Anthony Stefano deal.

It's going to be at to the point where teams trade away picks for players who haven't even been born yet....probably sooner than later. :wink:

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby cupcrazyman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:58 pm

didn't someone in Oshawa coin the phrase " we don't rebuild,we reload" ? :mrgreen: maybe it was someone from the Petes.
Job 37:10 The breath of God produces ice, and the broad waters become frozen.
cupcrazyman
NOOFer

Postby puckk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 pm

[/quote]o better in the quebec league just look at the quebec rempart they traded all there 1-2-3 picks till 2019 except 1 3rd pick.[/quote]

That's insane!
puckk
NOOFer

Postby OMG » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 am

They will get a great many of those picks back next year when they trade Dal Colle and possibly Vande Sompel.
OMG
NOOFer

Postby ORYX » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:33 am

Once you start placing rules in place to protect GM's from themselves, but also from doing their jobs, you begin to do the job for them IMO.

Don't put rules in place. Like every business, and lets not forget thats what this is, higher level employees (or owners) hire a guy they want to execute/develop the plan. Oshawa may have traded a boat load of picks, but will live with a bad team for a couple years. That bad team will draft high in the first round, and any good players they have they will trade to recuperate the skill young skill they lost by not drafting, or picks.

Dal Colle and Vande Sompel as two examples should be able to bring back a couple GOOD young players and a boat load of picks as well next year. Wait a year or so and trade the Good talent again, and what you will find is in due time, Oshawa will be in a position of Strength.

This is a cyclical league, this is how it works. Teams trade all their picks, or a lot of them, then they trade their remaining good players for other younger good players and picks, and in due time flip those now older guys for more picks etc.

I don't see the problem.

In Kitchener, there are years we wished out management were defined Buyers, and years we hoped they were Sellers. Often cases they were neither, and look at us now. No long playoff run, a bad team last year, a bad team this year, and likely bad for the next 1-2 years.

Indecision can hurt just as much or more then having the stones to make a run.
OHL Games seen in....
Kitchener, Guelph, Owen Sound, Erie, London, Plymouth, Saginaw, Oshawa, Sarnia, Brampton, Niagara, Mississauga

NHL Games seen in....
Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Philadelphia.
ORYX
NOOFer

Postby AlexQuevillon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:28 pm

At least Oshawa has the chance to win a championshipa and can't trade their firsts. Gatineau in the Q isn't even in the playoffs and doesn't have their own first until 2017.
AlexQuevillon
NOOFer

Postby redlight » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:17 pm

Gatineau were and still 16th at the trade deadline and decide to go for it ??????
redlight
NOOFer

Postby Duke Guy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:17 pm

I think the Gatineau trades being mentioned were done in previous seasons.
Duke Guy
NOOFer

Postby redlight » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Actually they traded 1 1rst 3 2nd 1 3rd pick plus others this year you just dont go for it when your almost last in the league
redlight
NOOFer

Postby Duke Guy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 pm

That does sound strange then, mind you, they are on a 3 game winning streak so let's see where this goes.
Duke Guy
NOOFer

Next

Return to New OHL Open Forum