The Flint (insert team name here).....

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Re: The Flint (insert team name here).....

Postby OHLArenaGuide » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 am

I like "Flon Bombers"
Arenas visited for games:
OHL: 19 current (28 all-time)
QMJHL: 10 (12)
NHL: 19 (23)
AHL: 5 (6)
NCAA: 3

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com
http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com
OHLArenaGuide
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wallbanger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

The Flint Overdrive!
As a penniless Canadian society if I want to add my 2 cents worth to any debate I must now round it down therefore I would be back to zero resulting in my opinion being now and forever worthless.
Wallbanger
NOOFer

Postby barnztormre » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index ... hl_fr.html

THEY CHOSE MY NAME!!!!!!! Now did they choose my ENTRY?

I chose it because:

1) the Pontiac Firebird was a GM product, so it's a subtle nod to GM since Oshawa has the Generals
2) it's symmetrical just like their arch-rival: Flint Firebirds vs Saginaw Spirit. It just WORKS.
3) I also suggested an orange-black-yellow-red color scheme with a flaming eagle logo which would look positively badass (and nobody in the O uses those colors except maybe Belleville)
4) Singular names (Pride, Spirit, Phoenix) are DUMB.
9/1/13: the wrong David Frost died.
barnztormre
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:40 am

The Man22 wrote:
feedback wrote:They where the Ambassadors , the Detroit junior red wings , they became the Whalers back in 1995 , why not just keep the current name and logo ??
Their is no need to change their name just because they are moving , they could save a pile of money by staying with the same name and logo ..

Yes but also lose a ton of money because people don't have to buy a new jeresey.

I don't think that is a very good excuse for a name change , North Bay had no problem keeping their name the same did they ??
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby esumner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

You read that wrong. They have not selected a name yet. This is just one of the many that they have registered

The trademark, one of 10 now believed to be in the running as possible names for the team, comes days before a Feb. 27 deadline for a name, logo and team colors to the OHL and its jersey supplier, CCM-Reebok.
Everett

Go Whalers!
----------------------------
"If you ain't got a bullpen ... you ain't got nuttin'" - Yogi Berra ... or Jim Leyland ... or some other old dude
esumner
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

feedback wrote:
The Man22 wrote:
feedback wrote:They where the Ambassadors , the Detroit junior red wings , they became the Whalers back in 1995 , why not just keep the current name and logo ??
Their is no need to change their name just because they are moving , they could save a pile of money by staying with the same name and logo ..

Yes but also lose a ton of money because people don't have to buy a new jeresey.

I don't think that is a very good excuse for a name change , North Bay had no problem keeping their name the same did they ??

North Bay has the same owner. The Whalers have been sold. A better example of keeping the same name would have been the Niagara IceDogs. But you are right, just selling more jerseys isn't a good excuse.
But the Whalers is a dumb name for a team not near an ocean anyway. There aren't many whales in the Great Lakes. At least it wasn't the Plymouth Hurricanes.
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby kerrkat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Selling jerseys, T's, sweats, hats and other team-related merchandise is a big line item in most O balance sheets so selecting effective colors and a strong logo is quite important. When you have a name like the Colts, Wolves or Greyhounds, the little plush toys sell themselves, but its a bit more difficult with abstract names like Spirit, 67's, or Petes. Here's hoping they get it right because big bucks are involved - just ask the San Jose Sharks - they sure got it right in that department.
kerrkat
NOOFer

Postby The Man22 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Danger Girl wrote:
feedback wrote:
The Man22 wrote:They where the Ambassadors , the Detroit junior red wings , they became the Whalers back in 1995 , why not just keep the current name and logo ??

North Bay has the same owner. The Whalers have been sold. A better example of keeping the same name would have been the Niagara IceDogs. But you are right, just selling more jerseys isn't a good excuse.
But the Whalers is a dumb name for a team not near an ocean anyway. There aren't many whales in the Great Lakes. At least it wasn't the Plymouth Hurricanes.

Not a good excuse but this is business not play time at the daycare centre. An excuse to make money is a good excuse in most owners eyes.
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 am

How about something that their logo if done right could be one of the greatest in demand around the league , the "FLINT FALCONS" . Have you ever seen the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles logo ?? If they did one like that it would become a best seller in the OHL ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby the croc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Are the Flint Generals still around. I like the sound...hee, hee
We shall never surrender!
the croc
NOOFer

Postby Duke Guy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:57 pm

The Flint Generals folded 5 years ago.
Duke Guy
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 am

But the Whalers is a dumb name for a team not near an ocean anyway. There aren't many whales in the Great Lakes. At least it wasn't the Plymouth Hurricanes.[/quote]

DG, I was at the beach on Lake Ontario last summer, and I'm positive I saw several beached whales !
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby BPFox » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:47 am

We will know next week. My guess is that they submitted the name "Phoenix" and were shot down by the league. They then asked for and got an extension. They then registered the name "Firebirds". If they had the logo and color scheme figured out for the "Phoenix" they would not have to change a thing for "Firebirds". Firebirds is a serious name that works long term. Tropics is a joke name that would fade fast. It's a no brainer in my book.
Congrats to Jake Paterson for being the best #2 star in the history of #2 stars.
BPFox
NOOFer

Postby Inkling » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 am

Inkling
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I was so, so, so, so......CLOSE!

I said it was going to be called the Flint Fire.

I just left off a syllable. :P

Oh well....I'll always have the Saginaw Spirit. :wink:

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50 am

KnightHawk wrote:I was so, so, so, so......CLOSE!

I said it was going to be called the Flint Fire.

I just left off a syllable. :P

Oh well....I'll always have the Saginaw Spirit. :wink:

KnightHawk

From the look of that logo this one will wind up in your collection .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
feedback
NOOFer

Postby LittleHockeyFan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Is nobody posting in this forum anymore ? :-(
LittleHockeyFan
NOOFer

Postby ohlws » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:42 pm

No, this forum is SHlT
RIP Mickey Renaud
1988-2008

Spitfires Captain 2007-2008
ohlws
NOOFer

Previous

Return to New OHL Open Forum