What is the purpose and history behind 'over-agers'?

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Postby Inkling » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 pm

As the title suggests, what is the purpose of the whole concept of 'over-age' players in Junior hockey, and how did it come about? I understand what they are, but am curious how it came about as it seems odd that you have an age cut-off but then say that you can have a fixed number of players that are a year older? It's always something that I just accepted, but recently started wondering why it is like that. I assume there must be a reason behind it. Thx in advance.
Inkling
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What is the purpose and history behind 'over-agers'?

Postby wombat613 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:07 pm

If I recall correctly way back in the day, the NHL draft was 19 year olds (or you had to be 19 to sign a pro contract) either way, 20 was probably a way to allow some late bloomers to stay around, and keep a team from stocking with "not quiet yet pro" players. IIHF has it as 20 as well (World Jrs is U20) If I am not mistaken the Sr Leagues are 20+. Now 19 year olds are the "second look" players, or ones that re-enter the draft.
wombat613
NOOFer

Postby The Man22 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 pm

The rule was put in place because teams where carry full rosters of 19 and 20 years. The CHL decided that they wanted to be a development league and put a limit on 20 years old to ensure the younger kids found a spot or 2. Now teams (well some teams) get how to build and the younger players get more spots.
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

The Man22 wrote:The rule was put in place because teams where carry full rosters of 19 and 20 years.

This is what I was thinking too, The Man22. The OA rule is in effect to limit on the number of 20 year olds so as not to stack a team.

Just like Inkling, I just accepted it, too.

Meanwhile, doing some research:

IIRC, it was in the 80s where teams were only allowed one OA.
Sometime between then and the 1997-98 season, the number of OAs allowed was raised to two.

Just ironic that the year I started following the OHL more, the number of OAs allwed was raised to THREE.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Inkling » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 am

Interesting...thanks for all the replies.
Inkling
NOOFer

Postby Duke Guy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:42 pm

The following is from an old OHL guide book I have concerning historical time line:

1985 Rosters expanded to allow two overage players, previously only one was permitted.

2000 Rosters expanded to allow three overage players.

Note: I know for a fact the 2000 year mentioned above is incorrect as I'm familiar with teams in the 1998-99 season having three overagers.
Duke Guy
NOOFer

Postby the croc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 pm

And being elderly, I remember the OHA junior A having 21 year olds as 21 was the age of majority in Ontario. Lots of 21 year olds on the Marlies playing with14 year old Bobby Orr. When did the age change occur? Keep in mind that Walt Disney ran the leagues then as the Whl and the Q had some interesting pickups to play in the Memorial Cup. The Croc.
We shall never surrender!
the croc
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 am

They still stack teams with 19-20 year old players in junior B , their is no rule on how many they can carry ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 am

the croc wrote:And being elderly, I remember the OHA junior A having 21 year olds as 21 was the age of majority in Ontario. Lots of 21 year olds on the Marlies playing with14 year old Bobby Orr. When did the age change occur? Keep in mind that Walt Disney ran the leagues then as the Whl and the Q had some interesting pickups to play in the Memorial Cup. The Croc.

Ya , they could pick up players on loan from other teams to make a run at the Memorial cup as long as their season was over ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:12 pm

KnightHawk wrote:
Just ironic that the year I started following the OHL more, the number of OAs allwed was raised to THREE.

KnightHawk

Why is that ironic? I think you've been listening to too much Alanis Morrissette. ;)
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Danger Girl wrote:Why is that ironic? I think you've been listening to too much Alanis Morrissette. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, okay. It was coincidental.

(And...it's true. The radio station we have playing at work plays Alanis Morrisette at LEAST three times a day.)

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Remember when the expansion teams were permitted four OA's
@GoErieHockey does Bassin know that he can make deals prior to 5 minutes before the deadline, for humans not just picks?
Hammer
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:44 am

Duke Guy wrote:The following is from an old OHL guide book I have concerning historical time line:

1985 Rosters expanded to allow two overage players, previously only one was permitted.

2000 Rosters expanded to allow three overage players.

Note: I know for a fact the 2000 year mentioned above is incorrect as I'm familiar with teams in the 1998-99 season having three overagers.

The first year for the three overagers in the OHL was 1998-1999.

I believe that Brampton, Mississauga were only permitted three each, they may have had four on the roster, but only a maximum of three in any game.

St. Mikes and Barrie as expansion teams were permitted 3 a piece when the league rules only permitted two overagers per team.

The very first bantam (supplemental) draft was in 1999, first full draft was in 2000. The OHL hasn't seen expansion since implementing the bantam draft. (It's probably not a coincidence)

The bantam draft would have teams only drafting 5-6 eligible players to fill their rosters with if you count imports therefore you see teams from the west allowing 5 overager spots. We haven't faced that problem yet, the next OHL expansion team will have that issue right off the hop.
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Return to New OHL Open Forum