Why even bother having league rules for governance???

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Postby Eagle Vision » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 am

Am I the only one that finds it completely uncanny that the Windsor Spitfires get (basically) sanctioned for giving money to players yet the league will continually bend & break all of it's own rules provided they feel that it's for the greater good??

In 1989, the OHL made the Eric Lindros deal that we still have today, where you can't trade 16-year-olds except in a 10 day window just before the trade deadline and they have to be first round picks - because this all makes sense. It's 25 years later and we have this rule in place. It makes even less common sense than states that maintain laws that your vehicle needs windshield wipers despite the absence of any laws requiring a windshield/screen.

In 1998 the OHL panicked and allowed an expansion team in Mississauga in an in vain attempt to stop the AHL from infiltrating into the Toronto market, despite granting an expansion team to Brampton and continually enforcing territorial rights elsewhere. If anything that move has served to potentially kill all junior hockey in the greater Toronto area (west of Oshawa).

In 2001 the league continued to allow the Majors to play out of what was a completely unacceptable building in St. Michael's, and for those curious it's not only that the building was unacceptable in terms of capacity, the ice was an extremely small 180 X 80. If that doesn't sound small consider this. You could comfortably park 28 Toyota Corollas on the portion of ice that's missing from NHL regulation size!! Now . . . to me this wouldn't be a massive issue except one problem. In the mid-90's they effectively forced the hand of the city of Sarnia and the Sting in terms of getting a new arena.

In 2015 the league allows two extensions to the team transition deadline. The first extension made sense as the Whalers were virtually homeless, and they only requested a small extension due to circumstances where Chatham city officials couldn't make the guarantees that would be required for a new ownership group to put a team in place there. The second one seems to have been there purely in the interest of moving a team into the Hamilton market before any other team/league can access it, and well after the deadline. I also have serious, serious doubts as to whether the league had any backroom discussions too much prior to this move.

Ready for this I'll just put this in perspective??? In 2001, the London Knights tried to change their jerseys from the eggplant and whatever colours with the SpiderKnight logo back to the capital L logo or the logo used during the 200-2003 season with the Knights helmet on it. They were denied this change because they were a little late is submitting a colour change to the league for approval (because as we call know there's a huge excess of teams in the league wearing green & yellow and it could have been a massive issue). Yet . . . . an entire franchise can be sold and then relocated two and a half months after the league mandated deadline to do so & without so much as even a request to extend the deadlines either before that deadline or immediately afterwards to my knowledge).

Like I said, maybe its for the best, but if it is . . . .why bother even having these rules and regulations if there's not much intention to abide by them???
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Why even bother having league rules for governance???

Postby orig sec u » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Methinks the league put Simmonds and Andlauer together, thus negating the requirement to go thru their own process.
Hockey is where I live.

Life is just a place I spend time between games.

2011 Ontario Hockey League Champions-
your Owen Sound Attack
orig sec u
NOOFer

Postby The Man22 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I love that people think this happened over night. This has been a done deal depending on the AHL situation since October. There is no way the league acted this fast.
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby nfthunder » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:14 pm

The OHL isn't different than the rest of society. When the benefits for ignoring a rule exceed those for following a rule, the rule in question will not apply.
nfthunder
NOOFer

Postby Inkling » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 pm

In an interview with Andlauer, he said it came together around the time of the NHL All Star weekend.
Inkling
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Well, thanks EV.
Always gratifying to read a post from someone who will put aside his personal interests and
reach out to grieving hockey communities, asking tough questions that unfortunately will never get answered.
A true OHL patriot, standing up to highlight unjust practices by the people who we are supposed to trust.
I'm not a millionaire businessman, but I know these deals don't get done this quickly. I've seen the league take more time
to decide on discipline for a player, than it allegedly did to rubber stamp this deal.
It's insulting to all of us, that they have the gall to expect us to believe their fairy tale about the move/sale of the Bulls.
How unfortunate that it's what I've come to expect from the league.
It should be an eye opener to every other smaller market franchise...... you have a bullseye on your backs, and you
cannot trust this league any longer.
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 pm

You forgot the last-minute implementation of the Tavares exception. Also known as the Screwing of Logan Couture.
The league should have been in a huge hurry to get rid of the hideous eggplant and teal spiderknight jerseys.

In the Whalers case, the choice was approve the extension or disband the team. I suspect the same choice motivated the late acceptance of the Bulls move.
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby ranger26 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 pm

I suspect a large donation to the league.
Plus now the actually have a team with a large arena...large enough for the next Memorial Cup in 2018.
OHL arenas not visited at least twice- Sault St.Marie, Peterborough
ranger26
NOOFer

Postby duke1036 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm

ranger26 wrote:I suspect a large donation to the league.
Plus now the actually have a team with a large arena...large enough for the next Memorial Cup in 2018.

You are assuming of course that Hamilton will be able to maintain their "new" team until then ?
If this were an episode of "the Sopranos", I would suspect some twisted menage a trois, "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours",
involving the Edmonton Oilers, Erie Otters and Hamilton.
League management of course, would never become involved in any way.
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers;
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"
So sayeth Wayne
duke1036
NOOFer

Postby Sometimes Knows » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:05 pm

It's the old adage....rules are made to be broken and the League has a way of doing so with no repercussions.

Really, when will the league governors start asking the tough questions like the examples EV gave and someone else pointed out with the "weekend" league taking weeks to react and announce suspensions. Maybe the governors have been and have given up fighting???
Sometimes Knows
NOOFer

Postby Jason Cormier » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Sometimes Knows wrote:It's the old adage....rules are made to be broken and the League has a way of doing so with no repercussions.

Really, when will the league governors start asking the tough questions like the examples EV gave and someone else pointed out with the "weekend" league taking weeks to react and announce suspensions. Maybe the governors have been and have given up fighting???

This continues the myth that the governors are under the control of the league office and the commissioner. It's the other way around. Regardless of how one feels about the league, actions are never taken against the will of the majority of the owners.
NAP XXI: Brampton
History

03: Lon
04: Gue, Mis, Bra, Sag
05: Sar, Osh
06: Osh, Eri
07: Bar, Sud
09: Kin, SSM
09: Kit, Ott
10: Win, Bel
11: Ply, OS
12: Pet, Gue
Pics: http://tinyurl.com/yj4v5z5
Jason Cormier
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:47 pm

So the league tells the Bulls.. "sorry, you can't move until the following season." The Bulls in turn say.. "OK.. we'll just sit this one out then." Does that make it better?
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 pm

If the Bulls just sat the season out, how on earth would they find an owner who wants a team with a complete dead roster the next year.

They would have been forced to go to the city of Belleville and negotiate a one-year extension on their lease.

I don't think that this whole thing was brought up when the Whalers were moving otherwise it would have leaked and leaked bad well before March. Also . . . in response to Jason's comment. Yes, I do believe that Branch has that kind of influence. If they were moving the Otters to Chatham with no concrete building plans Branch would have said. You are miles past the deadline, I would NOT recommend bringing this to the board of governors at all. Your motion will very likely be defeated.

Whereas with the Hamilton move, Branch's eyes do that cash register thing and he's the one calling all of the governors proclaiming why they have to push this through in the greater interests of the league.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby Danger Girl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:00 am

There's really only one adage that supersedes all here..."money talks, Bulls walks"
Donna

24 OHL arenas and counting...

If the instigator rule is killing hockey now, having to fight every time you throw a clean hit would kill hockey even faster.
Danger Girl
NOOFer

Postby Otto » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:27 am

Eagle Vision wrote:If the Bulls just sat the season out, how on earth would they find an owner who wants a team with a complete dead roster the next year.

They would have been forced to go to the city of Belleville and negotiate a one-year extension on their lease.

I don't think that this whole thing was brought up when the Whalers were moving otherwise it would have leaked and leaked bad well before March. Also . . . in response to Jason's comment. Yes, I do believe that Branch has that kind of influence. If they were moving the Otters to Chatham with no concrete building plans Branch would have said. You are miles past the deadline, I would NOT recommend bringing this to the board of governors at all. Your motion will very likely be defeated.

Whereas with the Hamilton move, Branch's eyes do that cash register thing and he's the one calling all of the governors proclaiming why they have to push this through in the greater interests of the league.

With all that crystal-ball knowledge why are you not in Vegas?
Otto
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:26 am

Otto wrote:
Eagle Vision wrote:If the Bulls just sat the season out, how on earth would they find an owner who wants a team with a complete dead roster the next year.

Applying common sense and betting on a hunch are completely different concepts.

I fully understand the need for the Plymouth - Flint move to be rushed through. The Whalers were completely homeless without hope of that changing.

With the Bulls situation, it would be like having a crappy apartment and buying a brand new condo and then having the condo not ready to go at the end of your lease. Spending another year in the crappy apartment would be annoying, but it's probably the best option. Killing yourself isn't really an option (although it would solve the issue with the lease expiring).

Think about this. You rushed the BullDogs (AHL) franchise out the door without their new home available, their situation is now a mess too. Absolutely no reason that this had to be rushed like this. Much like forcing a team into Mississauga (that really worked to elevate the OHL's profile in Toronto AND keep the AHL out of Toronto).

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby JROC » Sun May 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:
Otto wrote:

Applying common sense and betting on a hunch are completely different concepts.

I fully understand the need for the Plymouth - Flint move to be rushed through. The Whalers were completely homeless without hope of that changing.

With the Bulls situation, it would be like having a crappy apartment and buying a brand new condo and then having the condo not ready to go at the end of your lease. Spending another year in the crappy apartment would be annoying, but it's probably the best option. Killing yourself isn't really an option (although it would solve the issue with the lease expiring).

Think about this. You rushed the BullDogs (AHL) franchise out the door without their new home available, their situation is now a mess too. Absolutely no reason that this had to be rushed like this. Much like forcing a team into Mississauga (that really worked to elevate the OHL's profile in Toronto AND keep the AHL out of Toronto).

THIS. Did the league many any attempt to keep the Bulls in belleville? Probably not for it to have been kept such a big secret until APril.
for a better OHL forum with a competent moderatior check out http://thenewnoof.yuku.com/
JROC
NOOFer

Return to New OHL Open Forum