Playoff predictions!

THE place on the web to discuss happenings in the OHL. If it's just about the WHL, QMJHL or NHL, it doesn't belong here.

Moderators: stuffedwolf, TopShelf, Magellan, noofadmin

Playoff predictions!

Postby Noofgoof » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:16 am

Hey everyone, its that fun time of year again! Just thought id start the thread and see what everyones predictions are . You can do round by round or predict all at once just somthing for us all to try our hand at like we do every year. Good Luck all!
Come on Owen sound.. show em what we got.. GO ATTACK GO!
Noofgoof
NOOFer

Playoff predictions!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Playoff predictions!

Postby The Man22 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Noofgoof wrote:Hey everyone, its that fun time of year again! Just thought id start the thread and see what everyones predictions are . You can do round by round or predict all at once just somthing for us all to try our hand at like we do every year. Good Luck all!

You can't start a predictions threads and not provide any precidictions for yourself.

I predict that some teams will play. Some will win some will lose.
The poster formerly known as the The Man

2005 Memorial Cup Champion London Knights
Si-vrett #25
Bowl-u #10
pr+MUST = PRUST NOT pOOOOOOST
The Man22
NOOFer

Postby Noofgoof » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks I was planning on it just still wasnt sure about the eastern teams but heres my stab at it

West
Soo in 4 over Saginaw
Erie in 4 over Sarnia
Kitch in a tough 7 gamer over London
Owen Sound in 7 over Guelph

East
Oshawa in 4 over the Pete's
Barrie in 5 to end the Bulls final season
Kingston in 7 over North Bay
Niagra in 5 over Ottawa .. they have been awesome the second half of the year
Come on Owen sound.. show em what we got.. GO ATTACK GO!
Noofgoof
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:35 am

Noofgoof wrote:Thanks I was planning on it just still wasnt sure about the eastern teams but heres my stab at it

West
Soo in 4 over Saginaw
Erie in 4 over Sarnia
Kitch in a tough 7 gamer over London
Owen Sound in 7 over Guelph

East
Oshawa in 4 over the Pete's
Barrie in 5 to end the Bulls final season
Kingston in 7 over North Bay
Niagra in 5 over Ottawa .. they have been awesome the second half of the year

I agree with all your predictions except for the London / Kitch one , in my opinion the Knights are done in 5 games , they just don't have the goaltending ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby KM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:23 pm

East
Oshawa over Peterborough in 4
Barrie over Belleville in 5
North Bay over Kingston in 6
Niagara over Ottawa in 6

West
Soo over Saginaw in 4
Erie over Sarnia in 4
London over Kitchener in 7
Owen Sound over Guelph in 6
North Bay Centennials 1982-2002 - 93/94 OHL Champs
North Bay Battalion 2013/14 - 13/14 Eastern Conference Champs
KM
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 am

My Predcitions:

Oshawa over Peterborough (4 games): The Petes have some key injuries, and let's face it, this is the team that struggled to beat Sudbury when the stakes were either missing the post-season in the stretch run or facing Oshawa.

Barrie over Belleville (5 games): I really want this one to go 6 or 7 games just with the Bulls departing from Bell-Vegas, etc. Not sure that a miracle is in the cards. Barrie just has too much firepower up front. Expect a great series at times from Graham. I think that he'll slow the Colts attack, but not stop it.

North Bay over Kingston (5 games): Everyone seems to have this series as an upset waiting to happen because of Sam Bennett's return, and the Fronts stellar team defense that quite frankly starts in goal with Peressini. Here's the problem, of all of the teams in the East, the Battalion are easy the most playoff battle ready. North Bay's physical game will bring down the Fronts, and soon after the Colts.

Niagara over Ottawa (6 games): The talk of the OHL is just how good the IceDogs have been after acquiring Hope and in the second half of the season. Ottawa started in pretty much the same spot and ended up ahead of the IceDogs in the standings. Do not underestimate the 67's, especially on home ice. Problem is up and down the lineup they are severely lacking in post-season experience.

Sault Ste. Marie over Saginaw (4 games): I'm going to state up front, I have a bad feeling about Soo's netminding this post-season. Will it be problematic enough for the Spirit to sneak out a win?? Not likely without Paterson, the Greyhounds can simply score themselves out of trouble in the first round without Paterson to deter them.

Erie over Sarnia (5 games): I could see the Otters looking beyond the Sting and stumbling in one of the games in Sarnia before closing out the series with a swift knockout blow in game 5 (blowout) Sarnia has players that can exploit some of the Erie blueliners.

Kitchener over London (6 games): If the Rangers weren't so young and relatively inexperienced, I'd predict a sweep. The Knights have three 100-point scorers, offence outside of those three is integral for success. The Rangers have a much more mature backend and netminder. Deciding factor of the series may be the play of Maaskant and Iafrate, can they be disciplined?? Effective?? They sit 3rd and 5th in the league in penalty minutes.

Guelph over Owen Sound (6 games): I believe (I'm probably alone in this belief) that Guelph has the edge in goal. Key for Owen Sound will be grinding down those Guelph defenders. The blueline is not overly big and isn't overly experienced either. Guelph powerplay will dictate the flow of the series.
Arsonists make pathetic hockey fans

http://www.RangersRush.com/
http://www.jrahockey.com/

"being stupid. That's the way I coach." - Rick Tocchet
Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby rollo tape » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 am

Kingston will not be able to"
"outButler" Butler!
Last edited by rollo tape on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollo tape
NOOFer

Postby kerrkat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm

What I remember most about last season's playoffs was how none of the so-called experts picked the Battalion to win any of their series.
kerrkat
NOOFer

Postby rollo tape » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:29 pm

.....eight zip looks good on the talking heads blowing smoke about the mighty Fronts....and Ice Dogs Shmice Dogs..while I am at it....
rollo tape
NOOFer

Postby storm222 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 pm

KM wrote:East
Oshawa over Peterborough in 4
Barrie over Belleville in 5
North Bay over Kingston in 6
Niagara over Ottawa in 6

West
Soo over Saginaw in 4
Erie over Sarnia in 4
London over Kitchener in 7
Owen Sound over Guelph in 6
So much for you London Kitchener prediction.
storm222
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:21 pm

storm222 wrote:So much for you London Kitchener prediction.

How so? That series is FAR from over (IMHO).

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Right Wing » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:27 am

Owen Sound Attack are done Sat.
Adversity doesnt build character, it reveals it.
Right Wing
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 am

KnightHawk wrote:
storm222 wrote:So much for you London Kitchener prediction.

How so? That series is FAR from over (IMHO).

KnightHawk

If you told me that the Knights would be up 3-0 in this series before it started I would said you are nuts , with Paterson in net I was shore the Rangers would win this round , then Jim reminded me that Paterson has never won a playoff series in his entire career , it could be over for the Rangers tonight ..
It's not how big you are that makes you a man , It's how much man you are that makes you big ....
feedback
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:13 pm

feedback wrote: reminded me that Paterson has never won a playoff series in his entire career , it could be over for the Rangers tonight ..

Actually, he has. :wink:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/rost ... _season/45

2012 playoffs -- he recorded 4 wins and 2 OT losses in Saginaw's 1st round series win against Sarnia.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:24 pm

KnightHawk wrote:
feedback wrote: reminded me that Paterson has never won a playoff series in his entire career , it could be over for the Rangers tonight ..

Actually, he has. :wink:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/rost ... _season/45

2012 playoffs -- he recorded 4 wins and 2 OT losses in Saginaw's 1st round series win against Sarnia.

KnightHawk

I'm with Feedback on this one. Beating Sarnia during the post-season doesn't count. Everyone beats Sarnia.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby KnightHawk » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:44 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:I'm with Feedback on this one. Beating Sarnia during the post-season doesn't count. Everyone beats Sarnia.

That's not what was initially said, though.

It was said that Paterson has never won a playoff series in his career.

Statistically, he HAS won a playoff series.

Just sayin'.

BTW, Windsor in 2008 didn't beat Sarnia in the 1st round. SO THERE! :P

KnightHawk
KnightHawk
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

KnightHawk wrote:
Eagle Vision wrote:I'm with Feedback on this one. Beating Sarnia during the post-season doesn't count. Everyone beats Sarnia.

That's not what was initially said, though.

It was said that Paterson has never won a playoff series in his career.

Statistically, he HAS won a playoff series.

Just sayin'.

BTW, Windsor in 2008 didn't beat Sarnia in the 1st round. SO THERE! :P

KnightHawk

I know. That's the odd Rangers' connection.

The Rangers are the only team in OHL history to have faced the Sting after the first round. 1997 and 2008. Both times the Rangers won.

Still doesn't count though . . . because . . . . Sarnia. I'm kinda hoping that new ownership changes this.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Postby feedback » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:06 am

That game last night the Rangers had all the luck plus the refs did them a real favor by calling a one sided game , the Knights hit a total of 7 goal posts , three in the third period alone .
I don't mind the refs letting two teams play , but that was not the case last night , granted the Knights took some deserved penalties that's a given , but the Rags got away with some real crap , I can't blame Max for loosing his cool last night , he was being fouled all over the ice with no calls ..
feedback
NOOFer

Postby kerrkat » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:05 am

That 'Kingston in 7' prediction was not quite accurate.
kerrkat
NOOFer

Postby Eagle Vision » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Soo over Guelph in 5 - Soo's so-so netminding, and Guelph's (strongest standing in the West in my opinion) netminding will conspire to give the Storm at least one victory here in round two. They have a couple of horses who have done it before and will rally the troops. The Storm have to play physical and torment the Greyhounds if they want to make this series interesting.

Erie over London in 6 - Erie's goaltending will make this series interesting. If Hunter was worried about Maaskant's play with Domi he should be three times as concerned with Donnay, Genovese and MacDermid running around. Make the series physical on Erie's fowards, and try and skate around their defense. They don't have an insane amount of size up front. They do have two amazing forward lines that should carry the play. Expect Erie to welcome a run-and-gun wide open affair with the Knights. Should be entertaining. I don't think that Parsons can shut this team down.

Oshawa over Niagara in 6 - After playing the upstart 67's I and the Generals having played the Petes, I think that he IceDogs should have the edge out the gate, their play was forced to elevate, can the Generals match it early on?? It's a bad situation for the IceDogs once you chase Hope from the net, there is no viable B-plan.

North Bay over Barrie in 6 - Expect hard hitting, expect tight-checking. Do not expect loads of scoring. Smith with a narrow margin over Blackwood when the chips are down. Expect a dash of OT in this series, more than the others.

Eagle Vision
NOOFer

Next

Return to New OHL Open Forum